Have you measured your brain lately? A very significant predictor of mental function is change in brain size.
- Some body parts continue to grow in adulthood, for example our nose and ears and unfortunately, often our stomach!
- Some parts shrink like the disks in our spine and the thymus gland.
- Our brain also shrinks – and at an alarming rate – at least 1 1/2 percent per year.
Use your brain right now and do the math. Get out paper and pencil and work it out. We’ll wait for you…
In 20 years, that’s nearly one-fifth of your brain shrunken. Its gone, disappeared, poof!!
This shrinkage begins around age 30 and occurs all throughout the brain. There’s a solid connection between this shrinkage and a decline in thinking/cognitive abilities; in patients with only mild cognitive impairment the rate of shrinkage can be closer to two percent per year.
No matter what size an individual’s brain is to begin with, as it shrinks, one begins to see declines in memory, concentration, and other measures of cognitive function. And a sure-fire foundation for dementia and Alzheimer’s.
Shrink-Proof Your Brain
But “brain shrinkage” is not inevitable. Evidence points to nutritional deficiencies and inactivity (lack of daily exercise that pumps oxygen into the brain), as the primary causes. Fortunately it is possible to halt the process and even to reverse any brain shrinkage that has occurred.
The more physically fit a person is, the better their brain function. Further, improving cardiovascular fitness (aerobic activity that increases the flow of highly-oxygenated blood) was shown to improve cognitive skills most of all. The benefits apply across all areas of function, including motor skills, attention, and processing speed.
Researchers from the University of Illinois appear to have provided an explanation. In a series of trials, they found that not only did “brain volume” relate directly to cardiovascular fitness level, but that aerobic activity could increase the volume of all parts of the brain – while other types of physical activity did not.
Vitamin B-12 – the Miracle Brain Anti-Aging Nutrient
Researchers at Oxford University in England have found that low levels of vitamin B12 were associated with advanced brain shrinkage. In the study, 107 adults without any cognitive impairment were followed for five years. Annually during that period, each subject had their blood tested to assess the level of B12 and received an MRI to measure any change in brain volume.
Those in the lowest third of B12 level were six times as likely to have accelerated brain shrinkage as those in the highest third. SIX TIMES MORE SHRINKAGE!
Beyond age 50 or so, individuals are less able to assimilate vitamin B12 through diet, primarily due to a lack of hydrochloric or “stomach” acid, which declines rapidly as we age. When a B-12 deficiency advances far enough, it creates a condition known as “pernicious anemia”. Symptoms include fatigue, shortness of breath and pins-and-needles sensations in the hands and feet.
A deficiency in B12 is also known to cause dementia. The neurological changes can appear long before other signs. While pernicious anemia occurs in only two to three percent of the general population, the incidence of B12 deficiency among older adults may be as high as 30 percent.
Correcting a deficiency in vitamin B12 is simple and straightforward.
The fastest results come from getting the vitamin directly into your bloodstream with a sublingual B-12 tablet placed under your tongue and letting it dissolve.
Blood is closest to the surface of the skin inside our mouth. Just place the tablet directly under your tongue and as it dissolves, the B12 passes into the bloodstream through the mucous membranes of your gums.
Further Tips & Suggestions:
- I strongly recommend using Vitamin B-12 with another incredible formula, DMG. This Russian discovery was the secret behind their Olympic record spree of the 80’s and 90’s and Muhammad Ali referred to it as his “secret weapon” during his reign as the heavyweight boxing champion. DMG is a super-oxygenator, pumping tremendous amounts of oxygen into the cells, particularly the brain. Read the article, “DMG” – Russian Secret Weapon Against Autism to learn more about this incredible nutrient.
- Make a pot of my Very Smart Curcumin-Rich Curry for dinner. We have written several articles on the power of Curcumiods, which curries are high in, as an agent in preventing and even reversing dementia, Alzheimers and Autism. In fact, just last week we wrote “Natural” Cancer Drug Discovered, exploring two studies proving Curcuminoids to be capable of stopping cancer in its tracks.
- Add our Super Curcumin C3 Complex to your Brain Anti-Aging regime to dissolve plaque build-up in the brain, keeping the neural pathways clear. Save an extra 15% through Nov 15th!
- Have two tablespoons of high quality Virgin Olive Oil every day either on your salad, over your veggies or just straight. The compounds have just been found to fight Alzheimer’s plaque formation.
- Play chess with your kids (but take extra B-12 before you do!)