Cream of Asparagus Soup
This is a delicious soup rich in Glutathione, the master antioxidant.
Makes 4 servings
2 pounds green asparagus
1 large onion, diced
2 Tbsp. vegan margarine
Salt, to taste
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
5-6 cups vegetable broth
1/4 cup unsweetened soy milk
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1. Wash and then trim the hard ends off the asparagus and discard. Cut the asparagus into 1/2-inch pieces.
2. In a heavy pot over medium-low heat, sauté the onion in the margarine until translucent.
3. Add the asparagus, salt, and cayenne pepper and cook approximately 5 minutes.
4. Add 5 cups of vegetable broth and simmer for approximately 15 minutes.
5. Pour half the soup into a blender, add 1/8 cup soy milk, and blend until smooth. (Add the remaining broth if a thinner consistency is desired.)
6. Pour into a bowl and set aside, then blend the remaining soup and soy milk.
7. Pour all the soup back into the pot over low heat.
8. Add lemon juice, salt and cayenne pepper to taste.